This is the post in which you will know about Adverb and its type with examples. So I tried to explain the topic ‘Types of Adverb’ in a very simple and easy way so that you may clear your doubts.
The Adverb Definition
An adverb is a word which describes or modifies the Verb, Adjective, other Adverb, Preposition or the whole sentence. Example –
- He walks slowly. (modifies the Verb ‘walk’ )
- He speaks clearly.(modifies the Verb ‘speak’)
- They are playing well.(modifies the Verb ‘playing’)
- Riya is a very beautiful girl.(modifies the Adjective ‘beautiful’)
- He is too lazy.(modifies the adjective ‘lazy’)
- He is rich enough to buy a car.( modifies the Adjective ‘enough’)
- The plane flew directly above our heads. (modifies the Preposition ‘above’)
- They live exactly under my roof.(modifies the Preposition ‘under’)
- Perhaps you are wrong(modifies the whole sentence)
- Yes,i agree with him.(modifies the whole sentence).
Types of Adverb –
2) Adverbs of place
3) Adverbs of time
4) Adverbs of degree or quantity
5) Adverb of reason
6) Adverbs of frequency or number
7) Adverbs of affirmation or negation 8 Adverb of conjunction
9) Interrogative adverbs
10) Relative adverbs
This type of adverbs tells us in what manner the action takes place and answer the question ‘how‘ or ‘in what manner‘.
For Examples-Slowly,badly,clearly,quietly,well,fast etc.
- He walks slowly.
- He speaks clearly.
2)Adverbs of Place-
This type of adverbs tells us the place of an action and answers the questions’where‘.
For Examples-There,here,in ,out,above ,below,far,behind etc.
- Come in.
- He comes here.
3) Adverbs of Time
This type of adverbs tells us the time of an action and answer the question ‘When’.
For Examples- Now ,before,today,yesterday,since,already etc.
- He came late.
- Call him early.
4)Adverbs of frequency or number
This type of adverb tells how frequently an action takes place and answer the question ‘how often’.
For Examples-Once,Twice,Thrice,Often,Seldom,Always, Sometimes etc.
- I read this book twice.
- I have told you once.
5)Adverbs of Degree or Quantity
This type of adverb expresses degree of quantity ,state,condition and relation and answer the question‘how much‘,’in what degree’ or ‘to what extent’.
For Examples- Very,little,quite, enough,too, much ,almost ,so etc.
- He is too lazy.
- He is very clever.
6)Adverbs of Reason-
This type of adverb tells us the reason or purpose of the action and answer the question ‘Why’.
For Examples-Therefore,hence etc.
- He therefore left school.
- He is hence unable to go.
7)Adverbs of affirmation and negation-
Adverbs of affirmation is an adverb which confirms the action and Adverbs of negation is an adverb which denies the action in the sentence.
For Examples (Adverbs of affirmation)- Yes ,surely,certainly,undoubtedly,definitely,absolutely etc.
For Examples(Adverbs of negation)-No,not,never.
- Yes, he went there.
- He will never go there.
8)Adverbs of Conjunction-
Adverbs of conjunction are used to connect two clauses,phrases or words.It connects two clauses,phrases or words separated by a semicolon(;) but not by a comma(,).
For Examples-Also,likewise,otherwise,indeed,still,thus etc.
- It was raining; therefore,I changed my plan.
- Get up early in the morning ; otherwise ,you will be late for the school.
Interrogative Adverbs are used to ask questions.
For Examples-When ,where,why,how,how many/how much.
- When will you go to your office?(Interrogative adverbs of time)
- Where do you live?(Interrogative adverbs of place)
- Why are you behaving like this?(Interrogative adverbs of reason)
- How did you do this?(Interrogative adverbs of manner)
- How many coins do you have?(Interrogative adverbs of number)
Relative Adverbs are used to join sentences or clauses.These adverbs are When(time),Where(place)and Why(reason).
- I know the time when he will come.(‘when’ is uses as conjunction to join two sentences.)
- I know the place where he was born.(‘where’ is uses as conjunction to join two sentences )
- I know the reason why he got angry.(‘why’ is uses as conjunction to join two sentences )
Sundar Pichai (CEO of Google) Wiki,Age,Education,Wife,House,Salary And Quotes–Click Here
Reported Speech:Direct and Indirect Speech,Its Rules and Examples-Click Here
So this is all about What is an Adverb and its type and example .Hope you get much information about adverb.For more informative blogs visit https://www.perfectentrepreneur.com